On August 8th, during a full dinner service, Balena had to be evacuated due to a fire in the building. From what we know right now, it appears to have been an electrical fire that was started in the ceiling. The most important thing is that no one was injured, and everyone was evacuated from the building safely.
The damage looks fairly extensive in the kitchen, upstairs dining room and main dining room, however we’re hoping to have Balena re-opened as soon as possible. In the meantime, Balena’s partners at Boka Restaurant Group and B. Hospitality Co. are all working together to reassign all Balena employees who wish to work at other restaurants within the groups immediately.
The response from the Chicago restaurant community has been overwhelming and we are incredibly grateful for everyone’s continued support.
Thank you to the Chicago Fire Department, and first responders for their immediate response to our 911 call, and for helping to extinguish the fire in a safe and efficient manner.
We are incredibly grateful for your support during this time and look forward to re-opening our doors in the near future!
To reschedule your reservations at another Boka Restaurant Group property, please call 312.238.9896.